Sunday, February 22, 2009

God's Glory in Craig Smith's Praise


Back in the old days when I listened to the radio and "taped" songs on "cassettes," one night I chanced upon a startlingly beautiful and, it seemed to me, suitably worshipful song of praise from a fellow named Craig Smith. Years later I looked for the singer and the song, but without finding a trace of them. Then came iTunes...still nothing.

Then today, looking for suitable YouTube videos for a Sabbath afternoon, I thought to look up this Craig Smith tune for which I had no title.

Here it is! "We come to thee, O Lord, and bow before the God of Israel." It is very reverent, as songs of God's praise ought to be. I have always found that it communicates "lost in wonder, love, and praise" very effectively, especially in the crescendo at the end. (Don't the download buttons for iTunes etc. get your hopes up.)


Jehovah - Craig Smith

Here is another rediscovered from long ago: "Your heart is what the Father desires...Fashion in me a heart that's thirsting for you." That's what it's all about, folks.


Pure Heart - Craig Smith

One last song. This one is very John Michael Talbotesque.


Lord of all the Earth - Craig Smith

If you know anything about this album or this artist, or even the woman who sings on the "Jehovah" track, please let me know. He has a website for his music, and he appears to be a pastor in Arkansas. I would buy the album if I only could. And, as I am a Scotsman, that's saying a lot.

4 comments:

mark b said...

the Craig Smith CD is called Worship, released in 1988. I actually forgot I had it. I kept looking through my Craig Smith LP's looking for the songs you mentioned, since the titles sounded so familiar, and came up empty, then I looked through the CD's and there it was.

David C. Innes said...

I found the CD in eBay. I enjoy it immensely. The woman who sings on "Jehovah" is Twila Paris.

Morgan said...

I discovered the music of Craig Smith back in the early '80s and have been a fan ever since. All his music is hard to find, but it's worth the effort. Here's a listing of some records, tapes, and CDs to watch for: The Grand Arrival (1979), Maker (1981), Hymns (1983), Scepter (a band Craig was in, mid 1980s), Songs to the Father of Life (1989), Echoes of Innocence (1991), Behind the Veil (1997), and most recently, Your Kingdom Come (2000). The last one is my favorite.

Paul Kuttig said...

Thanks for posting this! I have looked both on Amazon and eBay for some time to find the Craig Smith album "worship". I had it on cassette, but the years of use wore out the tape. We use MP3s and CDs now anyway. :)

Finding his site and more music by him is a unexpected blessing. Thanks again!

Blessings in Christ!

Paul